Affordable Access to Legal Services.
The India Justice Foundation (IJF) provides free court representation, casework, and advice in many areas of law. We also undertake Legal Education, Law Reform, and other legal activities.
In conducting its triage, it gives priority to the poor and elderly in greatest economic and social need, focusing on legal issues that have an impact on basic needs, including at least minimally adequate income, food, shelter, utilities, necessary medical care, and freedom from domestic violence and abuse.
Areas of Practice
The main areas of law are outlined below, though we are not limited to these areas of law, and provide assistance in many other areas, subject to practice guidelines.
Our lawyers are trained to advise on Family Law, Mediation, and Alternative Dispute Resolution. We will assist you to better understand the mediation process and how it relates to your family law situation.
- Children’s Issues
- Child Support
- Property Settlement
- Domestic Violence Issues
- Location & Recovery Orders
- Property Damage
- Driving & Traffic Offences
- Intervention Orders
- Criminal Defense
- Criminal Appeals
- Debt related matters
- Small Claims
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Employment Issues
- Contract Law
- Consumer Law
- Special Education and Disability Advocacy
- Elder Law
Juvenile Rights Practice
- Defense and Appeals
So what does legal aid do for the poor it is able to serve?
- Obtains divorces, custody and child support for victims of domestic violence
- Maintains parent/child relationships in guardianship cases
- Improves family economic stability
- Prevents evictions
- Prevents utility shut-offs
- Assists people with disabilities in obtaining public assistance
- Helps individuals and families maintain necessary public benefits
- Enforces wage claims
- Enforces contract and warranty rights